Neon Therapeutics is an immuno-oncology company focused on developing novel therapeutics leveraging neoantigen biology to treat cancer. Neon utilizes its expertise in bioinformatics, neoepitope prediction and immune monitoring to identify tumor specific mutations and monitor clinical response to their personalized vaccines. Neon Therapeutics’ lead program is NEO-PV-01, a bespoke neoantigen vaccine that builds upon years of research and development at the Broad Institute and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. NEO-PV-01 is now being studied in a Phase 1b clinical trial combining the vaccine with Opdivo®, a PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor from Bristol-Myers Squibb, in patients with measurable metastatic melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer and bladder cancer. Also in development are NEO-PTC-01, a bespoke autologous T cell therapy, and a Shared Neoantigen Program leveraging neoepitopes that are common across patients and tumor types.
In addition, Neon has established strategic partnerships with CRISPR, Merck, and Apexigen, among others. By the end of 2018, it is anticipated there will be multiple clinical programs utilizing Neon’s platform.
Neon Therapeutics was incubated and launched by Third Rock Ventures, raised a $55M Series A in 2015 and, more recently, a $106M Series B in December 2017, and has filed for an initial public offering.
Neon Therapeutics is seeking a part-time (approximately 25-30 hours per week) AD/Director, Business Development Counsel to be a principal point of contact on legal contract review and negotiation for the Business Development department and for the company generally. In this role, the AD/Director, Business Development Counsel will be responsible for providing accurate, relevant and timely legal advice and counseling on matters relating to business/commercial contracts and negotiations, research and development activities, and partnership, program and alliance management in support of a broad range of client groups, including R&D, CMC & Manufacturing, and G&A. The AD/Director, Business Development Counsel will also work closely with the existing Legal and Business Development team members to support other projects and work. The successful candidate will have experience working in or with biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies. This position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and will initially report directly to the Chief Business Officer. This is a part-time position expected to require 2-3 work days per week.
A successful candidate will embody and demonstrate commitment to Neon’s core values: Patients, People, Science, Tenacity, Pioneer, Integrity
- Responsible for drafting and negotiating contracts, licenses, and other legal agreements, including CDAs, MTAs, manufacturing agreements, license agreements, partnership agreements, clinical trial agreements, purchasing terms & conditions, supply agreements and various vendor services agreements with internal clients and external partners.
- Advise Neon’s internal clients on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, IP ownership and other legal risks.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts.
- Appropriately triage a significant workflow, setting appropriate priorities and delivering results efficiently.
- Assist in the negotiation and drafting of term sheets, collaboration, partnership, licensing and other agreements.
- Assist with due diligence reviews to support Neon’s business development activities, working collaboratively with internal legal, business development and other colleagues, as well as external counsel.
- Develop and continually expand a thorough understanding of Neon’s current and planned business activities, programs, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations.
- Closely align with other members of Legal and Business Development departments and other client groups to provide consistent advice across the company.
- Perform other related duties as required by the position.
Experience and Essential Skills
- Juris Doctor degree and active bar licensure in good standing.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the bio/pharma life sciences department of a leading law firm and/or corporate law department, including a strong legal background in the field of biotechnology/pharmaceutical research and development and business development.
- Experience with applicable regulations related to pharma/biotech R&D and business development activities.
- Experience providing strategic direction to R&D and/or business development teams and identifying and implementing risk management strategies.
- Experience with collaborations, partnerships, consortiums and license agreements strongly preferred. Experience with cancer immono-oncology or oncology generally is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with internal colleagues in Legal, Business Development, R&D and other functions, as well as ability to successfully manage outside counsel.
- Ability to think creatively, formulate solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure.
- Ability to triage and manage multiple competing demands and prioritize effectively.
- Enthusiasm to work on a broad variety of legal matters and flexibility to support a dynamic business.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, decision making, contract drafting, negotiation, organizational, analytical and communication skills, as well as a professional orientation centered on ethics and integrity.
- Must have exceptional intellectual capacity and agility, business counseling gravitas, and ability to evaluate and manage legal and other risks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Neon Therapeutics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Neon Therapeutics complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.