The heart of insitro’s strategy is the development of novel, cutting edge methods in machine learning and high-throughput biology to address key bottlenecks in the drug development pipeline. To accomplish that, we are putting together an incredible team of highly talented biologist, bioengineers, machine learners, and data scientists who want to make a difference to this important problem. We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated leader for protein engineering with hands-on experience in developing protein therapeutics. You will be responsible for leading the protein engineering team in their execution and will lead cross-functional project teams working on novel high-throughput protein discovery and data generations for the development of biotherapeutics in various disease and technology areas. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing strategies for protein generation and engineering based on molecular evolution, measuring protein-protein biophysical interactions, computational modeling and other technologies. Well-qualified candidates will have a track record of scientific accomplishments as evidenced by a strong publication record, patents and pipeline contributions. You will participate in presenting these results to internal and external stakeholders, and in disseminating your work via scientific publications. We believe that strong teams require diverse skill sets: we like biologists who know how to program, engineers who understand biology, and everything in between. Most importantly, we want motivated and talented candidates who are interested in being part of a unique, cross-disciplinary team.
You will be joining as the founding team of a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, yet is very much in formation providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us and help make a difference to patients!
- PhD in biochemistry, protein engineering, proteomics, molecular biology or related fields, or equivalent experience
- Experience leading a protein engineering team in their execution and leading cross-functional project teams
- Deep knowledge in recombinant protein design, production and purification including selection and culture of recombinant host, directed mutagenesis and/or directed molecular evolution approaches
- Experience with computer aided protein design techniques
- Experience in characterization of purified material using mass spectrometry, light scattering, HPLC and other biophysical techniques
- Familiarity with measuring protein-protein interactions such as antibody-antigen and TCR-MHC interactions
- Significant experience with high-throughput assays and methods
- Experience leading protein engineering and cross-functional project teams
- Demonstrated track record of successful scientific execution and communication
- Excellent communication skills, including with people from diverse backgrounds
- Requires a high level of creativity and flexibility
- Passion for working in a team and making a difference in the world
Nice to Have
- 8-15 years of practical experience working on protein engineering
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is an exciting startup company that aims to take a new approach to drug development: one with big data and machine learning at its core. We plan to build on the ground-breaking innovations that have occurred in life sciences to develop large data sets that are designed from the start to allow machine learning to address fundamental bottlenecks in the drug development process. Our goal is to cure more people, sooner, and at a much lower cost.
We are fortunate to have the strong support from the top investors in both biotech and tech: ARCH Ventures, Foresite Capital, A16Z, GV, and Third Rock Ventures. We are building a remarkable team that embodies a new type of culture, one based on a true partnership between scientists, engineers, and data scientists. Together we are working to define the problems, design experiments, analyze the data, and derive the insights that will lead us to new therapeutics. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!