We Are Genetic Navigators bringing together passionate, creative and dedicated professionals to join a rapidly-growing startup on our mission to translate novel genetic insights into lifesaving medicines. We are integrating human genetics and functional genomics to decode the mysteries of genetic modifiers, leading us to new medicines we’ll develop for a range of severe diseases.
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative scientist to build and lead Maze’s Functional Genomics Department with responsibility for discovery of new therapeutic targets and the development of world-class target discovery platforms, including a large-scale CRISPR screening platform. This individual will be responsible for assembling and leading a team with expertise spanning molecular biology, cell biology, cell engineering, assay development, screening operations, automation, data analysis, and new technology development.
Your Role in Navigating The Maze:
- You will build a world-class functional genomics team by recruiting top talent, integrating cutting-edge technologies, and establishing lab operations.
- Collaborate with our biology and therapeutic area teams to develop assay and screening strategies, model systems, and target validation strategies to identify new genetic modifier targets.
- You will collaborate with our human genetics, data science, and research infrastructure teams to develop new technology platforms, including genome-wide CRISPR screening platforms and single cell assay technologies.
- You will be responsible for delivering targets for new drug discovery programs and collaborating with leaders across the research organization to advance the programs.
- You will be a champion of ideas for new target discovery projects.
- Lead and mentor a team of scientists and technology developers.
Your Navigation Tools:
- PhD in a biological discipline with at least 8-10 years of relevant experience in an industry (preferred) or academic setting.
- An outstanding reputation in your field as a creative scientist, a technology innovator, and as a dynamic leader.
- Deep expertise in cell and molecular biology and experience with state-of-the-art functional genomics screening technologies including contemporary expertise with CRISPR technologies used for genome-wide screens.
- Extensive experience with cell-based assay development and screening using a variety of readout technologies.
- Strong quantitative intuition, excellent data analysis and data mining skills, and experience and comfort with laboratory automation.
- Direct supervisory experience (5+ years) leading a team of scientists (including PhD-level scientists) and a track record of recruiting, mentoring, and developing top talent.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, networking, and project leadership skills.