Vice President, Biology and Translational Sciences at Rheos Medicines
Cambridge, MA, US
- Direct, mentor and develop the overall Biology team, currently consisting of approximately 10 scientists
- versee all internal and external biology activities focused on the discovery of novel targets and small molecule modulators of immune cell metabolism.
- Lead company efforts in translational sciences, including in vivo pharmacology, biomarker discovery and IND-enabling studies.
- Identify, support, manage and develop talent among team; act as a resource and mentor to team members by providing guidance, instruction, feedback and ongoing coaching; encourage visionary thinking. Value the advancement of our programs and our people.
- Design and supervise the execution of studies and fully collaborate with the drug discovery team to reach critical decision points leading to nomination of development candidates
- As a key member of the Rheos Leadership team, provide input to guide company strategies and their implementation
- Provide leadership, strategic oversight, resource management, and organizational framework to ensure timely decision making within our matrix / project based organizational structure
- Professionally represent the organization externally in collaborations and conferences, board of directors and scientific advisory board meetings.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- PhD degree in Immunology or related discipline
- 10-15+ years of relevant work experience in biotech/ pharma
- Experience with immunology and pharmacologic models in autoimmunity and immuno-oncology
- Strong track record of leadership with proven ability to mentor and grow a strong team of scientists.
- Prior experience and record of accomplishment functioning in and leading cross functional teams and willingness to adopt a hands-on approach to deliver in a start-up biotech environment
- Experience collaborating with biologists and chemists to generate in vivo target validation data and establishing PK/PD and biomarker correlations
- Experience with identifying relevant translational disease models and applying them to meet program goals
- Multiple examples of partnering with drug discovery to identify and develop candidates
- Prior experience in successfully implementing, utilizing and leveraging outsourcing strategies
- Prior experience leading programs from pre-clinical to IND submission
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong written, oral and public speaking communication skills.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to influence and work effectively with external CROs and other vendors
- Highly collaborative, hands on approach to startup biotechnology company drug discovery in a fast paced highly engaging environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with potential corporate partners/external collaborators
- Exemplify a patient-first focus, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
- Demonstrated ability to support target assessment and program development moving from in vitro to in vivo biology
- Proven ability to work within a matrix management structure to influence programs
- Demonstrated ability to lead through others and develop emerging leaders within organization