Machine learning lies at the core of insitro’s approach to rethinking drug development. As a machine learning engineer, you will lead the development of cutting edge machine learning methods that solve key problems in the drug development process. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of life scientists, bioengineers, and data scientists to identify areas where machine learning can make a difference, to conceptualize and develop biological datasets using cutting edge, high throughput platforms, and to analyze these data sets using the best machine learning methods, applied at scale. You will need to come up with novel methods that use a broad spectrum of machine learning approaches, including techniques at the forefront of the field. We aim to develop large data sets, and apply cutting edge machine learning methods; hence, you will need to develop and deploy machine learning methods at scale. You will work as part of a team to rigorously analyze our data, pull out key insights, and make accurate predictions that will let us quickly develop drugs that have high efficacy and low toxicity.
You will be joining as the founding team of a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, but yet is very much in formation. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in one or more general-purpose programming languages (such as Python, C/C++, or Scala)
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, with well-designed APIs)
- 4+ years of real-world work experience in software development for high-end machine learning algorithms
- Significant experience with at least one high-end ML development environment (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Caffe, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel machine learning methods that go beyond putting together of existing code, and to apply problem-solving skills to complex issues
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
- Passion for making a difference in the world
Nice to Have
- Experience with biological data (DNA sequences, RNAseq, proteomics, microscopy images, etc.)
- Experience with scalable machine learning, including the application to large datasets (100TB+)
- Proficiency in Linux environment (including shell scripting), experience with database languages (e.g., SQL, No-SQL) and experience with version control practices and tools (Git, Perforce, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (AWS or GCP)
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is an exciting startup company that aims to take a new approach to drug development: one with big data and machine learning at its core. We plan to build on the ground-breaking innovations that have occurred in life sciences to develop large data sets that are designed from the start to allow machine learning to address fundamental bottlenecks in the drug development process. Our goal is to cure more people, sooner, and at a much lower cost.
We are fortunate to have the strong support from the top investors in both biotech and tech: ARCH Ventures, Foresite Capital, A16Z, GV, and Third Rock Ventures. We are building a remarkable team that embodies a new type of culture, one based on a true partnership between scientists, engineers, and data scientists. Together we are working to define the problems, design experiments, analyze the data, and derive the insights that will lead us to new therapeutics. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!