Are you looking for a role with impact?
Magenta is seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven track record of success and strategic team leadership to fill a key Project Lead (“PL”) role in transplant medicine for our lead clinical hematopoietic stem cell expansion program, MGTA-456, currently in phase II. The PL for MGTA-456 will lead, along with critical team members, all studies for MGTA-456 (e.g. Inherited Metabolic Disease, Sickle Cell Disease, and Hematologic Malignancy) for the R&D organization, serving effectively as a “mini-CEO” for the MGTA-456 program. Additionally, the PL for MGTA-456 will be instrumental in Magenta’s expansion into the use of MGTA-456 for all patients who may require an allogenic donor source. The PL will participate in key strategic decisions focused on Magenta’s overall business strategy of growth in this area. The PL for MGTA-456 will be accountable to senior management (e.g., Chief Medical Officer) and the senior management team for all phases related to the advancement of the molecule(s) and for maximizing the value of projects within his/her areas of responsibility.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by and want to be responsible for:
- Driving one or more molecule programs and leading the Project Team(s). As collaboration across a matrixed organization is essential for the success of the program, the PL is responsible for ensuring that relevant functions are represented on the Program Core Team and that key stakeholders are kept up to date on relevant information about the program(s).
- Leading and managing both the preparation and communication of relevant updates of the Project and presenting the Development Strategy and updates to multiple stakeholders including the Executive Leadership Team, Scientific Advisory Board, and the Board of Directors.
- Ensuring that Clinical Development Plans/Strategy and Regulatory Plans/Strategy are prepared and are aligned with the TPP and the Development Plan Strategy.
- Assuming ownership of all project decisions between stages of the program to achieve project deliverables and timelines.
- Conducting continuous project risk assessment and implements appropriate mitigations.
- Ensuring that deviations from the approved project strategy, time lines or resource allocations are assessed and mitigation strategies enabled. This includes changes internally or externally leading to new or changed project risks.
- The PL is responsible for the project budget including monitoring of current and future cost.
- Partnering with the PCT in developing project deliverables. The PL is responsible for regular updates to senior management on project progress and for management of project resources.
- Participating in business development evaluations, as relevant and being actively involved in due diligence. The PL is responsible for ensuring that integration of new projects, in-licensed or partnered, and allocated to the PL, progresses according to plan and risks affecting resources or timelines are assessed and mitigated. This includes ensuring the establishment of optimal working relations with the partner and building a cross-functional PT.
- Presenting the PT endorsed project strategy and plans for approval at the program’s staged reviews.
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- M.D., Ph.D. or MD/PhD is preferred
- Substantial (10+ years) medical, scientific and general business experience with focus on global roles in the pharmaceutical industry, which shall include 3-5 years’ experience leading high complexity cross-functional projects
- Cellular therapy/hematology/oncology/transplant experience is preferred
- Phase I-III experience is required; Phase 4 experience will be a plus
- Proven pharmaceutical / biotech line management or cross-functional and cross-national management experience will be ideal
- Experience working with business development, commercial and medical affairs organizations is preferred; understanding of regional issues from a payer base would be a plus
- Business planning skills – knowledge/experience with project planning tools and processes
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop, communicate and gain support for strategic plans with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills – experience with either top level academic or management presentations and fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to lead by example and to create high performance teams, building on people’s strengths and facilitating the development of team direction promoting open dialogue, collaboration and cross-pollination amongst team members enabling them to rely upon and work well with each other
- Passionate about drug development; open to change; adaptable
- Ability to share the team vision while maintaining a link to operational targets
- Ability to support individuals to improve their current performance and future potential by providing coaching and development opportunities; capable of encouraging business improvement and growth by ensuring staff are positive about change and continuously looking to improve themselves and their work methods
- Appreciation and understanding of the business benefit of individual differences; ability to deal effectively with people from diverse professional, cultural and geographical background
- Seeks to win support from others within and outside the Company to advance the Company’s objectives, using, e.g., reasoning, persuasive arguments and networking
- Has good awareness of own strengths, limitations and development needs and applies this to optimize performance and relationships
- Demonstrated ability to creatively analyze business problems/issues in order to reach innovative, cost-effective and timely decisions
To be successful as a leader and contributor within Magenta, you must be:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta’s mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way.
- Entrepreneurial. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business.
- Intuitive. You will have a demonstrated ability to work in the “gray zone” and anticipate challenges before they arise.
- A proven cross-functional leader. You will have demonstrated the ability to “influence without authority,” build teams, and achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures.
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, and at the same time recognize when rules are meant to be bent.
- Transparent and Articulate. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
- Enterprise-focused and Business-savvy. You will always seek to put the goals of the company first, and help others understand the tradeoffs we need to make across the business. You’ll also be interested in new business development opportunities, being able to bring those to the attention of the right teams at Magenta and able to support those activities as requested.
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company.
- A role model for the company’s cultural pillars; Courage Commitment and Excellence!