The Role: We’re seeking a highly motivated Principal Scientist with a strong background in cell-based models and assays to join our Biology Department and contribute to building our pipeline for renal diseases. The successful candidate will focus on the development, characterization and implementation of in vitro models of kidney disease. Responsibilities include leading and mentoring a team of scientists, driving scientific research to establish and validate novel models of kidney disease based on human biology and implementing those models for evaluation of potential therapeutics.
- Develop strategy and scientific approach to establish and characterize novel models of kidney disease.
- Establish in vitro assays to evaluate dose/response relationships, efficacy, and characterize molecules for potential therapeutic effects.
- Drive in vitro pharmacology studies to enable go/no go decisions for program progression.
- Initiate and manage external research collaborations to further the applications of in vitro models of chronic kidney disease.
- Participate in and lead cross-functional teams to support preclinical drug discovery and development.
- Lead a group of researchers within Biology, providing guidance and mentorship.
- Prepare, review and deliver high quality scientific presentations for internal/external use.
- Commit to helping the team achieve deliverables and meet aggressive timelines.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- PhD with at least 5 years post-degree research in an industry setting.
- Extensive hands-on experience with cell culture and in vitro models.
- Hands-on experience in cellular and biochemical techniques including standard molecular biology and protein biochemistry methods.
- Hands on experience in the development and validation of cell-based assays.
- Expertise in microscopy including confocal; high-content imaging experience preferred.
- Strong publication record and demonstrated experience conducting independent research.
- Strong leadership and evidence of strategic scientific thinking.
- Effective managerial skills and the ability to lead independent scientists with different skill sets.
- Expertise in cutting edge assay technologies and proven assay troubleshooting skills.