Position: Scientist/ Senior Scientist, Immune monitoring
Reports to: Principal Scientist, Immune Monitoring
Location: Cambridge, MA
Neon Therapeutics is an immuno-oncology company focused on developing novel therapeutics leveraging neoantigen biology to treat cancer. The Company utilizes its expertise in bioinformatics, neoepitope prediction and immune monitoring to identify tumor specific mutations and monitor clinical response to their personalized vaccines. Neon Therapeutics’ lead program is NEO-PV-01, a bespoke neoantigen vaccine that builds upon years of research and development at the Broad Institute and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. NEO-PV-01 is now being studied in a Phase 1b clinical trial combining the vaccine with Opdivo®, a PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor from Bristol-Myers Squibb, in patients with measurable metastatic melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer and bladder cancer. Also in development are NEO-PTC-01, a bespoke autologous T cell therapy, and a Shared Neoantigen Program leveraging neoepitopes that are common across patients and tumor types.
Neon Therapeutics was incubated and launched by Third Rock Ventures, Raised a $55M Series A in 2015, a $106M Series B in December 2017, and completed its IPO, raising $100M in the summer of 2018.
Neon is seeking a highly-motivated Scientist/Senior Scientist to join Neon’s Immune monitoring group. The candidate will work within the Immune monitoring group in close collaboration with other scientists in the group and with other groups at Neon. The group is focused on translational immunology and he/she will work directly with the clinical samples generated during Neon Trials. He/she will work independently as well as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to develop different immune monitoring assays and data. S/he will work both independently and cross-functionally to develop and test many different vaccine technologies.
We are a collaborative and passionate team of 95+ (and growing!) employees who are innovative, ambitious and patient-focused. We are fiercely dedicated to transforming the treatment of cancer through rigorous science. We are very serious about the science, but just as passionate about a positive culture.
At Neon Therapeutics you are empowered to think ‘outside the box’ and be proactive in your approach. This is a highly entrepreneurial environment where your success is determined based on your contribution, not on title. There is no red tape here – leaders have open doors and employees are encouraged to make decisions, speak their opinions and get things done.
We hire for PERSONALITY as well as technical competence. We are proud of our positive and passionate culture.
At Neon, our core values act as a guidepost for our thoughts and behaviors:
* Patients: Urgently develop life-changing medicines
* People: Listen/Learn/Teach
* Science: Creative/Rigorous/Uncompromising
* Tenacity: Persevere/Build Neon to last
* Pioneer: Leave the comfort zone/Create the future
* Integrity: Do RIGHT
Neon is seeking a highly-motivated Scientist to join Neon’s Immune monitoring group. The candidate will work within the Immune monitoring group in close collaboration with other scientists in the group and with other groups at Neon. The group is focused on translational immunology and he/she will work directly with the clinical samples generated during Neon Trials. He/she will work independently as well as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to develop different immune monitoring assays and data.
Job responsibilities include:
* Develop and optimize automation for Immune monitoring assays using a liquid handling system
* Design and perform Immune Monitoring assays like ELISAs, ELISPOTS, Fluorescence activated cell sorting analysis, and T cell proliferation assays.
* Purification and characterization of PBMCs and tumor infiltrating lymphocytes from peripheral blood and lymphocytes.
* Evaluation of T cell receptor sequences in TILS and PBMCS
* Develop SOPS and maintain a high standard of experimentation and record keeping
* Improvement of current processes and implementation of new technologies.
* Collaborate with both internal research teams and external groups/ CROs to advance Immune-monitoring capabilities at Neon.
* Analysis and presentation of results to larger scientific groups.
* Train and supervise research associates to accomplish program and company goals.
* Work productively in a team environment and independently and deliver against timelines.
Key personality traits:
* Strategic thinker
* Ambitious, adaptable and accountable
* Flexible and coachable
* “Go getter” and high achiever
Experience and essential skills:
* Ph.D in Immunology with a 3-5 years of working experience in academia or industry.
* Experience with automating laboratory processes and programming liquid handling systems preferred.
* Experience with development of immune related assays.
* Knowledge of T cell biology, and experience in cell culture work.
* Prior experience working with immuno-oncology systems preferred.
* Experience in a clinical lab highly desirable.
* Demonstrated experience in complex problem solving.
* Excellent organizational, communication skills and a pro-active mentality.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Demonstrated experience functioning within a multi-disciplinary team and ability to integrate cross-functional information, to optimize work flows.
* Demonstrated experience working with contract research organizations and academic collaborators a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Neon Therapeutics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Neon Therapeutics complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.