Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
The Director/Sr. Director/VP of Finance & Accounting, reporting to the COO, will develop, lead and manage the finance operations, including all aspects of Casma’s accounting operations such as managing the general ledger, processing accounts payable and payroll and managing the external audit process. While ensuring that Casma has a strong financial infrastructure and internal control environment to support continued growth, you will be responsible for building the management reporting framework to provide meaningful financial and operational metrics that will help drive decision-making while partnering with Casma’s leadership team. You will assist in all scenario planning and fundraising activities. We are seeking a qualified candidate who will share our excitement about the science, contribute to our culture, and honor our commitment to patients.
- Responsible for technical accounting research and implementation of new accounting standards and application of US GAAP, documented through accounting memos.
- Implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures.
- Own all aspects of the general ledger, including accurate and timely preparation of financial documents.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements and forecasts.
- Responsible for the calculation of stock-based compensation.
- Coordinate with external auditors for the year-end audits.
- Oversee accounts payable and payroll process
- Collaborate with People + Culture/Benefits team to stay current on benefits regulations, payroll deductions, new hires and terminations
- Mentor and coach other financial professionals
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Partner with Casma’s leadership team to provide insights into the business, understand the needs and goals, and be a key contributor to the strategic plan and ongoing business strategy.
- Lead Casma’s budgeting, forecasting and long-range planning processes, including the preparation and presentations.
- Analyze projects, investments and costs and their impact on Casma’s cash runway and fundraising considerations.
- Provide support for corporate partnering and transactions and other projects that arise.
- Assist in all strategic financing include private and public equity fundraising.
- Maintain Casma’s capitalization table and support all shareholder inquiries.
Requirements + Qualifications
- BA/BS/MS/MBA in Finance or Accounting; CPA preferred
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in finance/accounting/FP&A functions
- Experience in life science industry preferred
- Experience working in both public and private sectors; start-up company experience preferred
- Experience implementing/maintaining accounting systems and developing reporting capabilities
- Experience building and managing high-performing teams
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships across the organization; ability to work collaboratively with a team-oriented environment
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- PC and MS Office proficiency, excellent MS Excel skills required
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen, learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community. Casma is proud to be one of Boston’s 2019 Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.